City & Community
The City of Buellton won the Santa Ynez Valley Beautification Award 2017 from the Solvang Rotary Club for the Best Public Landscaping at City Hall. The City replaced its grass and water intensive landscaping with native and drought tolerant landscaping, including a succulent garden and an herb garden. The new design also includes a dry stream bed where storm water flows and percolates into the ground. It was a combined effort of staff, the City Council, the California Conservation Corps, and Valley Gardener. Click here to view the award.
City Projects completed:
- 2018 State of the City
- Retrofit of lights on Ave of Flags to LED
- Retrofit of lights in Post office to LED
- Waterwise Landscaping at City Hall
- Reduced water use in all irrigation areas (Gold is the new Green)
- Replaced lighting in City Hall and Planning to LED
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station
City Projects underway:
- Wind/Solar energy supplemental power at WasteWater Treatment Plant
- Green Business Program of Santa Barbara County
- The Santa Ynez Valley Botanical Garden
- LessIsMore.org – Info and ideas on how to Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. This site is the ultimate waste reduction resource for residents of Santa Barbara County. Most of the programs serve Buellton.
- Green Gardener Program - Spring classes are underway at Santa Barbara City College Continuing Education Division in Santa Barbara, or Allan Hancock College in Santa Maria.